Saturday, April 01, 2006

What you know about a big DVD pile, son? (Part Deux)

  • "Krush Groove" -- I haven't had this much fun watching a movie, much less one purely based on hip-hop aesthetic, since... ever. If you ignore the mostly corny lines and stiff acting, this movie is one hell of a good time. "Krush Groove" is, of course, at its best when there are musical performances going on from random stars that pop up out of nowhere. Kind of like "School Daze" but not nearly as well written or acted.

    Actually, this movie's director (Michael Schultz) also directed the legend Berry Gordy's "Last Dragon" movie, a kung-fu/chop socky/blaxploitation film that's just dying to get remade. I'm looking at you, Hype Williams.

  • "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" -- If you're lukewarm on, curious about or (God forbid) hating on Robert Zimmerman, see this documentary about the Life and Times of Bob Dylan. It will move you and then it will convert you. After this, listen to "Bringing It All Back Home." This documentary made me rediscover Dylan. It was made by some guy called Scorsese whose never won an Oscar of his own.

    The scene where Allen Ginsberg dryly, yet poigantly, describes his reaction to the first time he heard "The Times They Are A-Changin'" was the jewel of this documentary for me. "The first time I heard that song," he said. "I wept... This was a man on a journey." For the record, and yes you can quote me on this, Allen Ginsberg is the only homosexual man I would seriously consider fucking. Of course, he died in 1997 and I'm not a necrophilliac.

  • "Murderball" -- Not as good as I thought it would be, but very intense and totally absorbing. Everyone in that movie is a huge asshole. But they're cripples, so it all balances out.

  • "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" -- I defy you not to cry for no good reason at the climax (the reveal of the Jaguar Shark) of this movie. It's the most odd, yet moving, moment I've ever seen in a movie. All set to my favorite Sigur Ros song. I've seen it at least 20 times and it still puts a lump in my throat. "In twelve years, he'll be eleven and a half." -- "That was my favorite age." Fucking sublime.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home